Thursday, June 4, 2009

Frustrating

Today I was sitting with a fellow mom at a swimming party, and she asked me how business was. I always feel hesitant to respond to that question.

Most of me wanted to reply, "Frustrating as crap". I took the easy way out and said it was going good.

Her reply was, "You have such a wonderful job. Staying home with your kids is great."

I thought about the last week and how I searched 18 hours to find mesh by the yard. And I still have not found a supplier.

"Yup, it's thrilling," I replied.

I am not sure she heard the sarcasm.

If you participated in the Great Cloth Diaper Hunt, you probably came across the newest product I am working on. We are calling them The Cuter Cloth, and have been working on them since late last year.

I use WE, because I am thrilled to have a business partner this time around. Her name is Katie, and she truly balances me. Cool headed, loves to crunch numbers, her photos and graphics are stunning.

My point is that this job, like any other, has parts that are very frustrating. If you have ever come up with a new invention, I am sure you know just what I am talking about. Pushing from the "great idea" to real-life implementation is difficult. Each step has brought a whole bunch of nevers.

I never thought we would get a working sample, and we have a beautiful one.
I never thought we would find organic velour by the yard, and last night a supplier fell into place.
I never thought we would have an actual production schedule for the first manufacturing run.
I never thought I would find mesh.

Okay, that last one is still a tad sketchy.

Have you started a new project? Did it seem like it would never get off the ground? Did it eventually? Did you have someone there to encourage you to push through?

I would love to hear your stories, if you are willing to share.

3 comments:

Brigitte said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brigitte said...

Yep. I am still working on that one. My blog is up and running but as far as finding the "in" for marketing - well that is my frustrating right now. I should be reaching thousands in this economic time and tech savvy community and yet - I like you am pulling my hair out. If you have time swing by tell me what you think. Always looking for pointers! Let's hope my "frustrating" gets good soon. :) Always thinking of you.

Heather Hurzeler said...

Love your blog and baby products!! So cute! I am a Christian Mom who's started a small business too, I know it can be frustrating at times to find the right fabric & material to make your product just right! I've pulled many late nights searching the web too!
Keep with it, your doing a great job! My blog is www.LuvARoo.blogspot.com
I create Stylish baby wrap carriers with for the trendy mom, called LuvARoo! :)