Saturday, February 27, 2010

Fabric Squares


My kitchen needed a face lift. Beige walls were dreary and boring to look at.
Last weekend, I had the crazy idea to paint it teal with one red wall. About halfway into trimming, I turned to my husband and told him I absolutely hated it. He told me to finish painting, and if we still hated it we could always get a new paint color.

I am so glad I listened, because I love it. One of the things I really wanted was a place for my son's artwork from preschool. A good friend of mine, Natalie, had these fabulous squares of varying fabrics in her kitchen, so I thought I would give it a try.
**Tips:

  • They sell a set of four 12 by 12 cork boards at Michael's for around $6.
  • Each square takes around 16 by 16 inches of fabric for covering.
  • Having too much fabric made it more difficult to give the corners a smooth and finished look.
  • A staple gun was my device for holding the fabric in place, but I have also seen other's use hot glue.
  • One nail dead center keeps them in place perfectly.

I love how much color and vibrancy they add to my kitchen wall. I plan on adding an Uppercase Living wall art above it--I will snap a picture of it when I am finished.

Happy Weekend!

2 comments:

Brigitte said...

I might just have to try out this idea. Love it!!

Jill said...

those are pretty, I might have to try them!