Monday, March 5, 2007

Starting A Home Based Business

Pulling my hair back into a ponytail, I looked at the clock once again. 3:49. I needed to be in my car in one minute. I pulled back the curtains to look one more time at the road, willing my husband to come down the road. Sitting on the floor playing with his toys, my son looked up and said “Hi Mamma” as I passed to pick up the phone and call for the third time. Just as it started ringing, I heard the garage door open. 3:52. I was going to be late. Grabbing my keys, I rushed out the door before he even had the chance to get inside. It was going to be a long night…

Before I had a home-based business, I was a waitress at a local restaurant. Detesting all the side work involved that kept me long past my last table, I knew I needed a change. Here I was rolling the never ending stash of silverware when I wanted to be home with my family. I started MiniMe Baby Gear about one year ago, and am so thankful. My husband and I recently ate at that very restaurant, and I just kept thinking, "I am so glad I no longer work here".

One of the many perks to running your own business is the flexible schedule. It never fails when I tell someone what I do, they tell me that they would love to work from home and bring in a little extra cash. I wanted to write down what I tell each and every one of them in the hopes it will help you, too. My next few posts will be devoted to a few things that worked for me, not the one and only way to start a small business.

One of my favorite movie quotes is “Brick by Brick my citizens”. Rome wasn’t built in a day, and your business won’t be either. If nothing else, hopefully I can encourage you to try! I would love comments from other WAHM if you have any tips.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. I've bookmarked your blog.